Environment – What is l’Empordà
The Costa Brava stretches out to 200 Km of coast. It shows great diversity where one can find a mixture of amazing nature and charming landscape, with very attractive villages, some of them due to their cosmopolitism, and others due to their historical and maritime flavour, with medieval villages where the original environment has been kept and cared for.
The region located between the coast and the city of Girona is called Empordà and is divided into two areas:
- Alt Empordà (High Empordà)
- Baix Empordà (Low Empordà)
The Empordà region is one of the most touristic and known ones along the Catalan coast. It is one of the most appreciated regions in the Mediterranean and its culture appears with the most intensity.
The High Empordà is located at the North-Oriental side of Catalonia and is separated fromFrance by the mountain range called l’Albera. The region designates the beginning of theCosta Brava, and its capital city, Figueres, is the home town of Salvador Dalí and houses the artist’s Museum.
Villages such as:
- EMPURIABRAVA. It is a village that holds a canals system where sailboats and pleasure boats are intermingled with houses by the very canals. It is surprising to find private gardens next to the jetties and moorings. This village is often called “Little Venice”.
- ROSES. Only 25 km away from the French frontier, Roses is known for its wonderful beaches of fines and, its bars with spacious terraces, and its famous restaurants.
- CADAQUES. Very picturesque and tourist village with a taste of sea, and narrow steep streets with houses in the Mediterranean style.
- L’ESCALA. Village that holds an important marina, where the boats start their tourist and marine trips along the Costa Brava.
- FIGUERES. Figueres is the capital city of the High Empordà, and it is the most inhabited city of the region with 42.000 inhabitants. It is also the economic-shopping centre of the region as well as the centre of services. The cultural offer is extremely important there standing out, among others, the famous Dalí Museum. Let’s remember, as well, that Figueres was the home town of this distinguished artist.
The infrastructures of the area have been very well cared for and extended, by building large motorways and renovating the highway. The high-speed train net AVE/TGV will contribute to a quick communication with Barcelona, Girona and France. Likewise, the Girona-Costa BravaAirport has connected the area to the main European cities, with more than 45 daily flights from several low-cost companies. This situation has brought the area closer to being a destination for future investors and people who are looking for quality of life and peace.
The distribution by nationalities is as follows:
In this area, holiday homes and country cottages are the most desired properties; having excellent quality and a unique style, they are located in exclusive spots in the natural geography of the area.
The region of the High Empordà is known for its striking landscape, for the quality of its restaurants, for its golf courses and, finally, for its security, all of which makes of this region an ideal place to hold a first or second residence.
The region of the Low Empordà is very popular among the tourists and Catalan residents, especially those who come from Barcelona. This region is an area much more populated than the High Empordà.
Its coastline is made up of crags and small coves with wonderful natural ports. The most known area of the coastline is that of the Medas Islands, an archipelago made up of seven islands that have been declared maritime reserve and where one can play scuba diving in an environment unique in the world.
Towards the interior we find many medieval-style villages such as:
Southwards we find villages where tourist complexes abound, such as:
- Calella de Palafrugell
- Platja D’Aro
- Castell D’Aro
In the area, just like in the High Empordà, there are several golf courses. The distribution by nationalities is as follows:
As in the High Empordà, the region is very charming thanks to its rough coasts, good restaurants and entertainment offer.